Sunday, March 30, 2014

Gear Re-Review: Redington Classic Trout 9' #6 fly rod

My CT lounging beside a  brown trout stream; perfectly matched with a Lamson Velocity
I initially reviewed this rod way back in August of 2011. In my opinion, my review was lacking mostly in substance and amounted to little more than me saying I enjoyed fishing the rod. Therefore, here is an updated review of the Redington CT 9' #6 fly rod. 

I initially purchased this rod during the winter of 2010 when I was working at a local big box outdoor retailer here in Canada and was able to overhaul my rood, reel, and line selection for a lot less money than my newlywed budget would normally allow. Prior to becoming the gear junkie that I am today, I only possessed two fly rods, an 8' #4 for small to medium sized streams and a 9' #6 for everything else. Now both of these were not great rods, and calling them good is being generous. 

Picking up the CT for its described medium action, this rod perfectly fit in with my more classic attitude to rod actions at the time, without falling into the all too common trap of medium action rods being heavy, tip stiff, and only bending in the middle with a healthy amount of wobble after the cast.
Not so with the CT. The blank progressively bent deeper towards the middle and butt with more and more line from the tip. And although rebound was not lightning quick, casts are not sent out to left field due to excess wobble on the forward stroke.

As I wrote in my initial review, this rod really can be a jack of all trades trout tool. It is a pleasure and presents delicately enough for light dry fly work, and has plenty of guts in reserve for when some monster kype comes out of no where for that size 18. It is also a great option when casting small to medium sized streamers (I have yet to try this with any Sex Dungeons or Butt Monkeys), and anything it lacks in power for the heaviest of flies it makes up for in versatility. This rod has seen plenty of time slinging indicators on stillwaters prior to my nine-and-a-half footer purchases, delicate dries prior to my long 4wt and fiberglass rods, any anything in between to honestly say this is my favourite rod in my quiver.

Today, if you ask most fly shop employees what is the best all around trout rod, they will probably say a  9' #5. There are shootouts to prove it. Not long ago, 5wt rods were considered on the light side of trout rods, with #6's and #7's being favoured day-in and day-out for the majority of trout fishing. #6's have the delicacy to lay out beautiful drag free drifts to wary wild browns, but the meat to floss out healthy specimens from stillwaters and tough root balls alike.

I think best of all, this rod is attractively priced. A great rod over-priced will see no sells and will eventually make its way to the bargain bin. This rod flies in well below what I think it is worth and is a real gem of the current Redington line-up.

Except for specialized situations like stillwaters, pike, big streamers, specialized nymphing and tiny trout, and the windiest of days this is my go-to rod. A true trout 6wt that can be a one rod arsenal for the beginning fly fisher; a pleasing action that has a lot of reserve power for long bombs, wind, or heavy flies; one I will not be throwing back.


Trev Sliwkanich 

N.B. -- This is the original 2010 production run of the CT. It was sadly replaced with the Tempt of which I had not heard many reviews, and the CT was recently re-released. I have not contacted Redington to see if these are the same tapers.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I was at a big box the other day and a newbie was going on his first fishing trip and had to buy a rod and reel. They had several choices, but I immediately grabbed the Reddington. It is a classy looking rod with a great reputation.

    ReplyDelete